Who are we?
The Central Family Life Center, Inc. (CFLC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that seeks to imrpove the lives and environment of Staten Island residents. The CFLC was established in 1979 under the aegis of the First Central Baptist Church, led by Rev. Dr. Calvin Rice, and it continues today under the leadership of the Rev. Dr. Demetrius Carolina. The 10,000 square foot facility is the only minority-led community center of its kind of Staten Island, and it houses many critical social services programs for the borough's diverse residents.
"The Central Family Life Center is a valuable foundation of learning, activity, and life assistance for individuals and families, as well as a community of support for them."
Gov. Andrew Cuomo
Improving the lives and environment of Staten Island residents.
Rev. Dr. Demetrius Carolina
Reverend Dr. Demetrius S. Carolina, Sr. is widely recognized as a spiritual leader and advocate for justice and human rights. He maintains a respected reputation as a man of conviction, one who consistently demonstrates hands-on leadership and a commitment to his congregation and issues affecting all humanity.
Rev. Dr. Carolina has been appointed as a commissioner of Human Rights in 2015 by Mayor Bill de Blasio and is the recipient of the 2014 New York City Controller Trailblazer Award. He is the leading advocate in bringing the nationally recognized Eagle Academy to Staten Island as well as the Cure Violence Initiative; known on Staten Island as True 2 Life.
He holds an Associate’s Degree in Communications, a Bachelor of Science Degree in Social Science, History and Education, a Master’s Degree in Educational Administration Leadership from Temple University, and a Doctorate in Educational Leadership/Management from the University of Phoenix.
Reverend Dr. Carolina answered the call to the gospel ministry at age 16. His missionary work has been world-wide and his preaching/teaching ministry has spanned the globe. He has been effective with the unique implementation of family centered ministries that foster numerous community partnership initiatives. Reverend Dr. Carolina currently serves as Senior Pastor of First Central Baptist Church, Staten Island, New York since 2005.
As the Executive Director of the Central Family Life Center, with responsibility to develop corporate, public and private relationships, he has raised awareness of service needs and has sought to offer a greater collaborative response to the community. Reverend Dr. Demetrius S. Carolina is the author of an internally popular book entitled “Let There Be Light, Creating a Life Worth Living”.
He is currently the president of “Clergy with a Purpose,” a city-wide ecumenical clergy empowerment organization. He is a member and award recipient of the NAACP. He also sits on numerous local and national boards. A few would include: M.B.D. House Corporation, the Baptist Ministers Conference of Greater New York & Vicinity, the United Missionary Baptist Association, former executive board-member of the Staten Island University Hospital and Regional Vice President of the Hampton University Ministers Conference.
The Reverend Dr. Carolina’s is married to Bernice Resto-Carolina and is the father of three wonderful children, Dior Isaiah, DeLisa Mona and Demetrius Solomon Carolina, II.
- Schools, hospitals, and other institutions that can dedicate time or resources to support health interventions: ter; Staten Island Mental Health; Legal Aid Society; Daytop; Workforce1; NAACP of Staten Island (Youth, Education, Criminal Justice and Housing Committees), Urban League of New York City; PS 44; PS 51; NYC Public Library
- Buildings, parks, and other infrastructure: Tappen Park; Central Family Life Center: Community Health Resource Center; St. Phillips Baptist Church in Port Richmond; Fellowship Baptist Church in Port Richmond;
- Community-building, educational, or service, cultural, or Faith-based organizations: First Central Baptist Church: Staten Island Ministerial Alliance (encompasses 31 Black Churches on Staten Island); St. Paul’s Episcopal Church: Black Leadership on AIDS/HIV; Albanian Cultural Center; Reach Out and Touch International Ministries; Stapleton UAME Church; Legal Aid;
- Local businesses : Cassandra Properties; Stradford Funeral Homes; Bari’s Pizza; Family Dollar; Key Foods; Probation office;
- Social groups or networks : Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc.; Eastern Stars; Masons; Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority; Live and Direct cable show; Staten Island Not for Profit Association; Young Male Initiative;
- Elected Officials: Council Member Debi Rose: Borough President James Oddo; Assembly member Michael Cusick; NYS Senator Diane Savino; NYS Assembly Member Matthew Titone; Congressman Dan Donovan